Everett Loose Tuning Pins

FRED W TREMPER f.trempe@morehead-st.edu
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 08:08:10 -0500 (EST)

Dear Friends:

While tuning a private customer's Everett spinet (No. 69422), I noticed
that several tuning pins in a row were loose, some to the point that as
soon as I released the tuning lever the pitch of the string dropped
dramatically.  I have seen this phenomenon before in Everett pianos.

I have heard that in Everett verticals, at least in older ones, there often
occurs a separation in the pinblock veneer.  This separation is in the lower
tenor section of the scale and runs along a line of tuning pins immediately
above the pressure bar.  This separation causes loose tuning pins which makes
it impossible to tune those notes.  It certainly was in this case.

My question is, is there a solution to this problem.  Is there a repair
that can be made other than replacement of the pinblock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred

Fred W. Tremper, RPT
Morehead State University