computer as tool

Mike Cook a440@iquest.net
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 17:15:38 -0500

----------
From:       Bob Simmons[SMTP:bsimmons@wiley.csusb.edu]
Sent:       Saturday, September 23, 1995 9:55 AM
To:   Multiple recipients of list
Subject:    computer as tool

I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask, about maximizing my=20
computer use.=20

1. What communications programs do you find most useful with the=20
internet? I am just using a cheap thing that is a part of an old=20
"SideKick Calendar" program, to tie into through the University. I'm =
sure=20
there must be something better, but what?

2. I've never really gotten into scheduling my appointments on the=20
computer; still use a Day Timer, and that works okay, but I've recently=20
been double entering on SideKick, for fun. But it's sort of a hassle,=20
because after I finish entering the information in my database, I then =
have to=20
type in the same thing on the calendar. *But* I am not interested in=20
re-entering all my 4000 some-odd records, by hand into a new database,=20
just so I can tie into a calendar. Anybody found anything you *really*=20
like, for scheduling (predominantly privated customer, in my case)?

Bob Simmons, RPT

Bob , there are certainly many good internet and data base programs =
today. Alot depends on what type of computer, what speed and memory =
configuration your unit has. The question is almost so "general" its =
hard to answer. Are you running a IBM type, or a Mac? Are you using Dos, =
windows, windows 95, OS2?=20
Do you want to access the internet through a independent provider, or =
one of the comercial services like CompuServe?

I personally have a IBM clone.  I am running Windows95. There are some =
real nice features that come with windows95 that I think are real nice. =
It provides both the internet software as well as some nice business =
options.
I am currently using the Microsoft Works program for my customer data =
base. I can add and delete at will and print out my information in =
different formats.
Although that is a very good overall program, I would eventually like to =
go to the new Package for windows95. Its called Microsoft Office Pro. It =
incorperates all of the best of all the office packages. The word =
processor, database, spreadsheet, plus a presentation program. The only =
thing is, it costs about $500.00 that I am currently having a hard time =
choking up.
As for your delema re: re- entering all of your 4000 names and =
addresses, unless you can some how convert your current data into =
another format, or you can copy the data and paste it into a new format, =
I don't know of any way to transfer the information into another =
program.
Im sure that there are many people that know much more about that than I =
do on this subject.=20
The only thing that I wish is, that I had a 4000 name customer list.
Mike Cook =20
Indianapolis In
a440@Iquest.net