Bridge caps

HartmanCJ@aol.com HartmanCJ@aol.com
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 18:24:57 -0400

Bob,

Having worked with many laminated bridges  I can not agree with your idea
that spring back has  damages  the soundboard. After removal from the
soundboard the amount of spring back is minimal. Removing the cap does not
effect this either. So the purpose of the cap is not to stabilize the
laminated bridge. Neither do I believe that protecting the glue lines is a
valid point; hide glue is very reliable in this situation. As a rule most
glue line failures are in reality due to the stresses of wood movement due to
changes in moisture content, not poor adhesion. In fact I would guess that
the soundboard cracks you mention are also caused by the same wood movement
problems.  The soundboard panel moves across the grain but the long grain
bridge restrains it. Stresses build up and cracks are formed.

John Hartman