Bridge caps

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:22:40 -0400 (EDT)

B. Hopf wrote:
> It has always seemed to me that one of the functions the cap serves is  to
> cover the  multiple glue joints between the bent laminations and present just
> one joint to the atmosphere. Bridge capping became practice at a time when th
> only glue available was hot hide glue, a glue where failure is directly
> related to exposure to the atmosphere.  A laminated bridge glued with hide
> glue would be many times more resistant to failure with a cap.  This practice
> [....]

This explanation doesn't seem to be consistent with the many extant
pianos, e.g. Grafs from 1820, that have bridges which look exactly as
they did when installed 170 years ago. The laminations are perfectly
intact in these Grafs. Glue-joint failure in hide-glues is related to
moisture and only a very humid atmosphere can affect this...I don't
recall ever seeing a bridge cap on an early piano...this may be a
20th C habit. Or perhaps North American pianos are different in this
respect (I am not as familiar with these).

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686