Hammer Technique

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Wed, 06 Sep 1995 19:05:34 -0400

Ken Burton posted:
>>Here's my question: when tuning grands, how important is it to
exert strong thumb pressure on the hammer in an effort to rotate the pin
without leaning it sideways?  Is this even possible?
 I have been simply pulling the hammer handle without worrying
about this force having the tendency to lean the pin.<<

Mr. Burton,

While tuning a grand today, I got to concentrating on my thumb (because of
your post), to see what it was doing as I was increasing or decreasing
tension.  All I could determine about my thumb is that it acted more of a
stabilizer at times, and other times it didn't participate very much at all
(at least in exerting leverage).  It just needed to be somewhere, and what
better place than the tuning lever.  Sometimes it was just at rest, now that
I recall, sometimes it wasn't even touching the tuning lever at all.

I thought of a golfer's grip, and how the thumb is positioned maybe to help
stabilize the swing or something like that.

Anyhow, at no time did I feel or sense the thumb as specifically applying
leverage, but more as needing a place to be and every once in a while, giving
my fingers something to pull against, thereby making me feel I have more
control in the turning of the tuning pin.

Avery Todd's following post pretty well says how I feel about the concept of
"setting a tuning pin" (bending, leaning, twisting, turning; whatever it
takes):
 >>I'm not an expert at all on this subject, but I think what you need to
be most concerned about is that the pin actually moves in the block. With
very tight pins the pin can also twist or lean/bend before it actually moves
all the way down...the important thing is that any twist,
etc. introduced into the pin be righted before you leave it or you will not
have a stable tuning.<<

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter