Bridle Wires

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Fri, 01 Sep 1995 12:30:41 -0700

Hi (who ever you are),

----------
From:       yenniet[SMTP:yenniet@centmail.sw2.k12.wy.us]
Sent:       Thursday, August 31, 1995 9:47 AM
To:   Multiple recipients of list
Subject:    Bridle Wires

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:29 =
AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Bridle Wires                          Date:  =
8/31/95

Good Morning all!   This past weekend  as I was tuning a few pianos for =
local
school district I came across a candidate for the "All time Hokey =
repair"
award.  A few bridle wires were broken at the wippen on an old upright =
and
instead of replacing them, some technician(?) ahead of me simply glued =
the
bridle tape to the bottom of the backcheck head.   Interesting isn't it? =
this end I did replace a couple of the wires (I ran out of =
replacements), but
I was not satisfied with the result of my labors.  Since I couldn't get =
the
darn ends of the wires out of the wippens I ended up drilling a hole in =
the
wippen as close to the original site as possible and set the new wires =
in the
holes.   Does anybody out there have an efficient repair method for =
broken
bridle wires?

You've got the right idea - you got to get that stub out.  Most upright =
whippens that I have seen are drilled through for the bridle wire.  In =
this case, you could rig up a press to push it out one way or the other. =
 If not, I would still try to drill it from the backside and push it =
out.

BTW, please sign your posts with your name and where you're from.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA=09