Steinway Model K upright problems

Robert Husssa hussa@odi.cwc.whecn.edu
Mon, 06 Nov 1995 18:15:32 -0700 (MST)

Well, here goes for my first request!
I have a customer/friend who has a Steinway Model K upright, approx. 100
yrs. old.  Another technician took the hammers off for reshaping, then
reglued the hammers using something other than hide glue (haven't seen
this yet).  The tone of the piano is very poor now, and the action is
incredibly uneven.  Yet another (RPT) technician tried to fit the hammers
to the strings, but it hasn't solved it. I am concerned that the strike
points were correct when the hammers were rehung.  Any info out there
regarding strike point calculations?  Where to
begin?  Send it off to a rebuilder, and if so, who do you recommend? She
really wants to keep the piano--it's a family treasure.  Both my customer
and I will appreciate a
private reply.  Thanks. Robert Hussa                  Central Wyoming College
Director of Vocal Music       Internet:  hussa@odi.cwc.whecn.edu
Sing it or lose it!