Inner/Outer Rim Separation

PaulStep@aol.com PaulStep@aol.com
Mon, 06 Nov 1995 22:49:21 -0500

I have a customer with a Schafer & Sons, 5'1" grand (built by Samick) with a
significant problem.  While looking for a buzz on a couple of notes, I found
that the inner and outer rim have separated around the entire perimeter of
the rim.  The split is visible on the bottom of the rim.  I can get a thin 5
inch pallet knife full depth into the opening in several places from both the
top and bottom.  The separation  is extensive enough that I would try to get
the manufacturer/distributor to replace the instrument under the warranty if
it were still in business.  (So much for "life-time" warranties.  "Sorry
ma'm, your piano just died.")  Since there is no warranty coverage, there is
little else to do but attempt a repair.  I have put together the general
approach below and would appreciate comments, suggestions, improvements, etc.

1.  Stabilize the room and piano temperature about 70 degrees.

2.  Tape the bottom of the rim to prevent leakage.

3.  Reglue the rim parts with West System epoxy using slow hardener to gain
the lowest viscosity.  Mix the epoxy in small batches and warm to 80 degrees
to further reduce viscosity.

4.  Starting at the treble end of the curve, inject the epoxy and work it
down with a pallet knife.

5.  Mixing epoxy in small batches, work around the rim in 6 to 8 inch
sections.

6.  After gluing, begin again at treble end and clamp parts every 6" with
C-clamps and cauls cut and padded to fit the curve of the rim.  Leave clamped
5 days to assure sufficient cure time for the epoxy.

This whole matter brings up several questions:

1.  Is this extensive separation caused by poor glur up in the factory or the
result of stress developed later?

2.  Has anyone had experience with polyester glues (Gorilla Glue or Excell)
 for this situation?  I have used Excell and it seems too thick to flow.  I
haven't seen Gorilla Glue.

3.  If the rim failure is the result of post-manufacture stress, should it be
clamped after regluing or should it remain unclamped with the epoxy filling
the void?

4.  Extensive rim failure appears to me to be a serious problem.  Is it
terminal?
I remember once servicing a small Helpinstil grand (built by Kimball) that
had no outer rim at all.  How important is it in a small, very low-priced
grand?

5.  Is there a better approach to facilitate this repair?  If so, what?

I and the unfortunate owner of this piano would appreciate any help or
sugestions for dealing with this problem.