Clavichord actions

Dave Doremus dbd01@www.gnofn.org
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 22:12:31 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, David Porritt wrote:
> I had to tune (and replace a couple of strings) on our school's
> clavichord yesterday.  I have a question about the action.(...)
> How much key travel should there be after the tangent touches the
> string?  Are there other important parameters in the set up of this "action?"
>
> Dave Porritt
> SMU - Dallas
>

>From my experience you should tune with a reasonably and consistently
firm hand unless you know that the player is very heavy or light fingered.
This has to be a judgement call.

Key travel is controlled by string tension, listing tightness and strike
point. There may be design problems causing the strings to flex too much.

Other regulation tips, tangents should be closer in the treble than the bass
to avoid chattering. Tangent tops need to be very smooth and, if double
strung,
angled to hit both strings at exactly the same time. Watch out for strike
point on open wound bass strings as the tangent can hit the wrapping and
slide off with an annoying lurch.

Hope this helps.

Dave Doremus
dbd01@www.gnofn.org