Dead Bass Strings

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 21:35:52 -0700

>My understanding from the stringmakers (I've talked to several about this) is
>that strings should be put under tension soon after they are wound. One I

My sources say the same thing although I put one set of strings on that were
a couple of years old by the time they were installed and they were OK. How
long their life will be is another matter. That particular set was never
removed from its shipping box, coiled of course.

>talked to said surely no longer than thirty days. I don't understand why, but
>they do seem to go dead if left hanging. Anyone else know anything about
>this?

For interest's sake, I was working in a concert hall in a neighbouring
province a month or so ago where they have a 40 year-old Heintzman Concert
Grand as their second piano (#1 is a 1967 S&S D). When they bought the piano
in 1967 it came with a spare set of bass strings and they have been hanging
in the piano cage ever since. I'm curious as to their condition after this
long...

                John

John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca