corrections

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 20:00:33 -0500

<<Bill Ballard: I don't ever recall saying
anything about the hammershank "whip"...somebody else.  I will
say that Baldwin made a similar type film back in the '70s where
you could very clearly see this effect.  Maybe Kent Webb would
know where this film is.>>
Let me apologize for what was my inference. You had talked about a non-linear
accelaration observed in your photo-gate experiment. ("Angular Acceration in
a Piano Key" 95-1-5": I typically find that the speed of the shank is the
fastest about halfway through its travel. I originally had thought tha
acceleration would be constant.") Bill Spurlock had just previously mentioned
the flexing of keys and shanks, and I assumed that the maximum speed at
mid-stroke you had observed was a function of a shank lagging behind at the
beginning and racing to catch up as the thrust underneath it overpowered its
own inertial flexing.

<<I will say that Baldwin made a similar type film back in the '70s where
you could very clearly see this effect.  Maybe Kent Webb would
know where this film is.>>
Maybe he could also tell us if what was filmed was an action going at 10-20
reps/sec, which is the aim of our experiment.

<<It has been a long time since I have seen or tuned a Steinway Upright but
I'm willing to bet that the problem lies in too little friction at the capo
bar or what ever that thing is.>>
Should I ever run into a Steinway vertical whose friction problem at the
pressure bar was too little thereof, I would think I had died and gone to
heaven. Even after backing off the pressure back screws a half turn, you're
still left with poorly placed tuning pins side-drafting strings in the
neighborhood.

Bill Ballard RPT     "Filing the bridgepins sure puts a sparkle on the
NH Chapt. PTG          restringing, but is best done before the plate is

                                  re-installed" .........recent shop journal
entry