capo noises

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 23:25:06 -0500

>How do you measure the counterbearing and with what tool?

I fashioned what amounts to a very small sliding bevel,similar to the on
found on page 6 of the Garrett Wade catalog--only smaller. I used stiff card
for the time being, later I'll do one out of metal. The short,moveable leg
needs to be short-1" or so,wedge shaped coming to a sharp point.(I wish we
could draw pictures on this thing). The long leg is not much longer- 2-2/12".
The two legs are held together with a tiny machine screw and nut. Lay the
longer leg on the string(s) and position the shorter leg to line up with the
upper duplex string. ( you need to hold you mouth just so:) ) Tighten up the
nut. Transfer the resultant angle to a piece of paper, extend the lines
described by the two arms and measure the angle with a protractor. Similarly,
you can measure the angle from the speaking length up from the bar from
underneath with the action removed.