Piano security

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:19:24 -0600

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Michael Wathen 556-9565 wrote:

> Use a locking cover available from Paul Jansen & Sons
>                 800-236-2437.
> Use a resettable combination lock, brand name "Sesamee".  They
> are about 10 a piece.

If this is the same arrangement you had about 5 years ago, it's easily
penetrable--at least it was for me (you may remember, Michael, that I
left my business card on the plate after taking the piano for a "spin.")
I suppose the cable could have been 6" shorter...

> You can replace bridge pins with new bridge pins of the same
> size.  Remove old pins apply "Woodtite".  You will have to drive
> the new pins in with a nail set and a small hammer after you
> apply this stuff.  This stuff has the consistency of water and
> you can get it to travel down the hole quite easily.  It contains
> no hazardous solvents.

Available in hardware stores?  Is it a water-based glue?

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette