Jr. Science Project

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Sun, 26 Mar 1995 12:16:08 -0500

The NH Chapter's dream has come true. You may remember discussion of
exploration to inner workings of deep and fast repetition using high-speed
videography. The NH Chapter will get to film an afternoon's worth of the
stuff on a machine capable of 2000 frames/sec. (Figure a maximum relevant
rate of 15 reps/sec, and chopping each of these into 20 frames, we're only
using 15% of the hardware's frame speed capablilty.)
So as not to waste our benefactor's time, we'll have all of our trials laid
out in advance. We'll use a grand action model with the vertical panel
replaced to hold actual piano wire. We'll use three kinds of wire, in
addition to the action model's 1/4" rod: 2" s/l of #13, a long thin overwound
and a short fat overwound. In addition to varying what the hammer bounces
off, we'll also vary regulation: slim/fat aftertouch let-off and drop, hi/lo
check, weak/strong rep spring. The extent to which we'll go through all of
the possible above combinations we don't know. (Remember that we'll be
transfer 300 frames/sec to standard VHS video, that's a ten-fold increase in
viewing time, and the 20 frames per rep is only 15% of what's available.)
Michael Wathen's flexing hammershanks should be clearly visible,  but we
don't plan to substitute a longer key to introduce flex to that lever.
We'd look forward to any suggestions y'all may have for an illuminating
afternoon.

Bill Ballard RPT    ".....the 'Pentium Happens' bumper sticker on his Miata."
NH Chapter, PTG                MacUser Magazine 5/95