RE Engelmann spruce

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 09:05:47 -0500 (EST)

I've backpacked and skied many times in the high country of Colorado through
huge stands of Engelmann spruce. I'm not certain of this, but I believe it
is a tree associated with the high country, and,therefore, does not get very
large in girth. It may be hard to find trees large enough and free of knots
for soundboard use. One might try contacting local saw mills in Colorado. I
know there's lots of Engelmann spruce in Summit County, CO.

Ken Sloane. Oberlin Conservatory