de-oderizing a piano

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun, 05 Mar 1995 17:29:53 -0600

On Sun, 5 Mar 1995 t.seay@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> >Is there a way to get the mice urine smell out of the keybed? It has soaked
> >into the wood.
>
> Two suggestions:
>
> 1.      Try several applications of baking soda (after a thorough cleaning
> of the keybed, of course). Probably won't work very well, but it's worth a
> try.

Great minds think alike....

> 2.      This is a lot of work, but you can remove the keys, remove and
> replace the keybed felt and balance & front rail punchings, polish the
> pins, sand the keybed with 220 grit paper (after a thorough cleaning), and
> seal the contaminated surfaces with a clear finish (such as Deft or even
> sanding sealer).WARNING: USE A  RESPIRATOR WHEN SANDING ANYTHING
> CONTAMINATED WITH URINE. Studies have proven that this can be VERY TOXIC
> and extremely dangerous to your health! Be careful.

<whispering> Uh, Tom, I think he said key...bed.  You think he really
meant key...frame?

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette