de-oderizing a piano

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun, 05 Mar 1995 17:24:15 -0600

On Sun, 5 Mar 1995, Chris Olson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone out there has a good method for de-oderizing a smelly
> old upright piano.  Apparently it was quite the hang-out for the in mice
> crowd.  Upon opening it up for the first time, I saw different colored
> threads strung all over the action like streamers at a party.  lots of
> confetti too!
>
> Is there a way to get the mice urine smell out of the keybed? It has soaked
> into the wood.

It's called kerosene....  :-) But seriously, how about sprinkling baking
soda onto the keybed.  Another possible option might be spraying a product
called "Smells Begone" over the keybed.  Some hardware stores carry this
product which is manufactured in Birmingham, MI by the Punati Chemical
Corp.  It's truly amazing stuff!  Really says what it claims to do.  The
label says it "contains an oxidizer, non-ionic ethoxylated detergent,
chelating seqeustering agent, methyl calicylate and approved coloring,"
and the directions say "a few sprays of sage non-toxic "Smells Begone"
instantly works to eliminate most mal-odors.  A few ounces added to
mopping and wiping solutions, drains, etc. will freshen area and arrest
foul smells.  Regular applications prevent odors in kitchens, appliances,
cars, boats, etc."   I haven't seen the stuff outside of the Detroit
area, though.  Damman Hardware and Kmart carries it up there.  Gee!
Come to think of it, I haven't even bothered to look for it in Illinois.
Maybe I will.  Perhaps Bob Marinelli can be convinced to carry that product.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette