parts inventory

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Wed, 01 Mar 1995 07:20:04 -0600 (CST)

Bob,

I think the best way to go about planning a parts inventory is
to evaluate the instrument inventory, decide what you want to do
with it, make your plan of attack and order parts accordingly.
The only parts I had here at IWU when I started were a set of
bass strings for a D, harpsichord wire and some disgusting used
smelly moldy crusty old god awful Steinway parts--whips and
solid lacquer hammers attached to flanges that had been pinned
with telephone poles.  For 3 years I was a contractor, so I pro-
vided all parts, supplies and tools, but 2 years ago I became an
employee and started building a parts inventory.  I still pro-
vide my own tools; the school supplies me with a shop/office
(which already had a drill press in it).  Since then, I've re-
quested and received and air cleaner and a Mighty-Might vacuum
cleaner (it sucks and blows!).  My job consists mostly of tuning
& voicing, regulating, and making repairs.  I have put in a
couple of actions and a *lot* of key bushings, but for the most
part, I just try to get things to play reasonably well, sound
good and not wobble too much.  I don't have a budget either, so
I make my request for parts and supplies at the beginning of the
fiscal year--while there's still money.  Here is what I have,
so far, listed in order of purchase (The largest part of IWU's
instrument inventory are Steinway grands and Yamaha P-2s.):

set Steinway D bass strings (already had)
set Steinway B bass strings
misc. Steinway action parts
collection of music wire
center pins
glues, cleaners, chemicals
paper, cardboard and felt punchings
replacement sharps
bushing cloth, small collection a action felts/cloth
sets Steinway D camper felts
Yamaha P-2 jacks
Yamaha P-2 hammer butt flanges (with the little string loops)

I visited the biggest band instrument dealer in the area and
got them to agree to save the packing boxes from instrument
cases--small cardboard, rectangular, bins.  I have these
labeled and lined up on shelves for storing parts.  As for a
messy shop, well, "your mother doesn't work here; you'll have
to clean up after yourself."

BTW, what's the best way to store sets of bass strings,
hanging straight down, or wound up and tied in a circular
shape?

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
berich@heartland.bradley.edu