Center Pin Lubricants

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 23:22:46 -0500

I have not used any of the "Ballistol", but have extensive experience with
Protek and Silicone/Naphtha lubricants and alcohol/water sizing solutions.
 In the right situations, I feel that each of these have their uses.

Both Baldwin/Wurlitzer and Yamaha recommend the Silicone/naphtha solution for
use on their actions.  In almost twenty years of using this lubricant by our
firm we have observed no undesirable effects or a need for reapplication.  I
have used Protek on a number of instruments over the past few years and found
it to work well in most situations.  One application for either of these that
is often overlooked, which has been especially important on the piano faculty
instruments, is on the damper guide rail bushings.  Usually, if the damper
wire is "catching", easing is required to insure proper movement.  However,
application of a lubricant significantly decreases the amount of noise that
this contact point produces.

In my experience I have found that lubricants and shrinking solutions only
work so far.  Repinning on some instruments seems to be the only means of
achieving free centers.  So if one method doesn't work, try another.

However, none of this seems to affect verdigris!!!  Does anyone have a
permanent fix other than full parts replacement?  I have also recently
discovered another situation that appears to confound as much as the dreaded
verdigris - plated pins.  I currently have a Knabe upright in the shop that
appears to have plated center pins which are loosing their plating.  This
plating has come off in the bushing cloth and has frozeb the action solid.
 By the way, it has double flanges.  Could this occur on any of the vintage
grands that we sometimes have in music departments?

My biggest concern with most of the "magic" formulas is that I don't know
what is in them.  I realize that the makers want to keep the contents a
secret so that we all don't start homebrewing.  But there still remains a
question in my mind as to just what we are putting on the action.

Food for thought.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we were
at when we created them."

                                                    Albert Einstein
Allan L. Gilreath
Gilreath PIano & Organ