advertising?

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Thu, 08 Jun 1995 22:44:21 +0059 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Stephen Birkett wrote:

> The subject of `advertising' often comes up on these listservs. While
> it is difficult to clearly define what `advertising' is,

Which is why it is a good idea not to allow any.

) it seems to
> me that it isn't difficult to identify *commercial* advertising and
> this is always considered inappropriate. On the other hand the
> posting on `pianos for sale' seems to me to be more like putting a
> note on a bulletin board at the office or similar...

And if Irv Jacoby, for example, got somebody to put up a list of his next
truckload, in the guise of note on a bulletin board...

) in moderationnot
> obtrusive and possibly informative or useful to the receiver.

And hopw would you modify moderation? Or obtrusiveness? It's a slippery
slope, you see.

) A
> clearly identified classified ad can easily be deleted unread. One
> occasionally sees instruments for sale on the music lists. My 0.02.

Yes. I've thought about the Harpsichords for sale announcements on the
Harpsichord list. Since one cannot go to harpsichord dealer and buy a
harpsichord - one usually must either order one or buy one from a present
owner - the announcement of one being available is actually a valuable
bit of information to the early keyboard community. So is the
availability of a unique instrument from an owner/musician.

A piano technician, with seven old urights, however, is for all intents
and purposes a dealer. He collected those things in order to resell them,
didn't he? Now he is trying to unload them - it is a business
transaction, pure and simple. Especially with details, prices and a
shouted subject line.

This is a mailing list. Which means that whatever gets posted here goes
directly into peoples' e-mail boxes. Some subscribers pay by the message.
Or by volume. Others have very limited disk space. It is simply unfair to
shove advertising into their mailboxes.

Israel Stein