bass str. space pblm (I'm almost done!)

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.demon.co.uk
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 21:35:33 +0000 (GMT)

In message <950828220543_65739745@mail02.mail.aol.com> PNOTNR@aol.com writes:
>     >Question, was the original hole location causing a problem or are you
> just creating a problem for yourself.  Something on the line of, "If it ain't
> broke don't fix."<
>
> Hi Newton,
>
> Rain? What's that?
>
> To answer your question, the original hole location is the root of this whole
> mess.  There are 6 tuning pins in the upper row of the bass section that are
> far enough to the right that the strings wrap around the lower tuning pins.
>  They are bad enough that I'm going to have to enlarge the hole in the plate.
>  I'm putting my faith in Wally Brooks statement that the plate is full of
> holes, so a few more wont hurt.  (I can't believe this got out of the factory
> like this!)
>
> I'm not sure whether I'll just space the upper pins or split the difference
> between all pins involved.  I suppose that will be determined by how severe
> the angles of the strings over the nut are.
>
> (BTW Newton, have you ever met a pianist down your way by the name of Jack
> Ervin?)
>
> Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I had to do the same as your attempting to do on a Russian piano
Reager.  The problem I had was the right hand string was
trailing over the left hand tuning pin causing the right hand
string to moove out of tune when tuning the left hand pin.  This
problem only ocurred on the lower bank of the row of poins.

I pluged the right hole ping and realised that the side draft on
the right pin would be insufficient if I mooved it enough to
clear the left pin.  So therefore, I had to move both pins to
get the acquired clearance.  Which I acheived with one minor
problem I have been tuning the piano for two years now and the
drag on the left pin is considerably more than the drag on the
right pin.  This probably due to there being more side draft on
the left pin than the right, it is now showing up as the strings
age.  But I think the job was worth doing even though I've got to
hit the notes harder when settling the left string.
--
                        \ | /
                        (o o)