bass str. space pblm (I'm almost done!)

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.demon.co.uk
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 22:09:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Gordon,

In my haste to get on I forgot to mention how I completed the
task.
   The bnigest problem was drilling the frame. you can plug the
plank and re drill but how do you plug the frame?  this is what
I did I can't remember the measurements as it was over two years
ago but the principles still the same.  I measured the original
holes in the plate after pluging the holes in the plank.  I
purtchased a steel rod of the same diametrer cut to the same
thickness of the plate at the hole and drilled a small hole in
to the steel gromet and with a nail and some glue fixed the
steel grtomet in to the hole. centre  Punched where I wanted to
drill and perceed to drill at a very slow speed as I did not
want to use any lubricants I removed the drill periondically and
cooled it down with WD40 wiped it clean and repeated the process
until I hit the stop on my drill for the correct depth through
the plate.  I then drilled the plank out filled in the craks
round the gromet with plastic padding and then resprayed the
frame in that area.  I also fogot to mention the other reason
fror changing the location of the pins was that I was fed up of
replacing broken styrings and as the bass had gone tubby and the
customer had agreed to change the bass strings but sadly not the
steel strings.  One last point why I performed this operation
with no bass strings on and the steel strings up to pitch or as
near as dam it unlike some people I have a lot of confidence in
cast iron with no cracks in it.

--
                        \ | /
                        (o o)