Steinway upright rebuilding

John Delacour JD@eremita.demon.co.uk
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 10:42:35 +0000

At 15:04 24.08.95, DAVander@aol.com wrote:

 |: ...rebuild a Steinway upright piano, circa 1902....

|: The work to be done includes shimming the soundboard, a

|: new bass bridge, new strings and tuning pins, new hammers
 |: and hammer butts, reconditioning the wippens, keybushings
 |: and keybed felts, and tuning and regulating.

|: ...changing a scale design.  I desire to correspond with

|: someone who has experience in scale design to walk me

|: through the measurements and calculations necessary.

There is almost certainly no point in rescaling the plain

wire section of this piano since if the bridge line is wrong

(which it is not in this case!) there is nothing you can do

short of fitting another bridge.  Some pianos, mainly

German, can be given a more singing and sustained tone by

reducing the tension overall but this is not necessary on a

Steinway which generally has string tensions in the mid

treble of 150-160 lbs. except at the extremities.  At the

bass end of the long bridge you can expect to find a tailing

off of tension towards the break perhaps to as low as 120

lbs.  This is to avoid stiffness in the strings and

consequent bad harmonics as the bridge runs out of space.  A

more gradual tailing off of tension is to be expected at the

top of the treble for a different reason, namely to ensure

that the strings remain within the tensile limit of the

wire.  On note 88 (of almost any good piano) you would

expect to find a speaking length of 48mm. and a #13 wire.

To calculate the tension, multiply the frequency in cps.

(4186.01) by the length in cm. (4.8) by the diameter of the

wire in cm. (0.0775) and then square the result to get

2424847.  Divide this by 18676 ** (for plain wire of density

7.6 g/cc) and you will get the tension in lbs (133).  If you

were to substitute a #13.5 wire (0.800mm.) you would raise

the tension to 143 lbs.

In brief the formula for the calculation of the tension is

therefore:

 ( f l d ) ^2    (frequency x length x diameter all squared
   ________
       K          divided by a constant depending on the mass

                 per unit length of the string.)

For the covered strings a rough value for K (quite adequate

for all practical purposes) is 20,000.

Thus you have, say a covered string of overall diameter

6.00mm on bottom A which has a speaking length of 1170mm.

On a simple calculator do this:

           27.5 * 117 * .6 * = / 20000 =

The result is 186 lbs. **

As to the case of the old Steinway upright, I would disagree

with anyone who says the bass string scale cannot be

improved upon.  Unfortunately you are stuck with only ten

singles where 12 or more would be preferable on a scale of

this length.  After many decades living in the 1870's

Steinway have at last realized that their bass scales might

be changed and I notice double covered strings (Horror of

horrors, dear Theodore) on new uprights.  You can

double-cover the last ten notes if you like and aim for

tension on note 1 of 180-200 lbs and on note 10 of 260 lbs.

A good scale on any piano with a speaking length of 120cm

for A1 would be 12-15 singles and 12-15 bichords with

tension rising though the singles from 200 to 260 lbs. and

all the bichords at 180 lbs.  This is not possible on the

old Steinway upright.  I would set note 1 at 180-200 lbs and

note 10 at 240 lbs.  Note 11 cannot be given 180lbs without

making it "barky".  I would recommend a rise from 140 lbs to

170lbs. through the bichord section.  I don't have the

scales I have used to hand since I am at home, but I'm sure

it would be something like this.  I can easily send you a

couple of suggested scales if you like.  You would need to

tell me the speaking lengths of note 1 and note 26 so that I

know which model it is.

One thing I do know about this piano - the use of a #22 core

for note 10 (single-covered) finally purifies the note.  The

original core is #18 and sounds awful.

|: I would also appreciate recommendations of pitfalls to

|: avoid when working with a Steinway upright of this period.

|: Does anyone have a preferred brand/supplier of hammers

|: suitable for this piano?

Nothing is better that  the brown wood impregnated hammers

from Japan (I forget the name but it's something like

Imategawa).  I believe Schaff are the US. agents and in

Europe Danielsen.  Get them unbored and recalculate the

boring angle.  Steinway's original boring (hammer

over-centring) seems crazy and I have never worked out why

they did it.  Rationalizing the boring does no harm to the

tone.  The strike line must of course remain sacrosanct.

|: someone else hang the hammers as I don't have a drill

|: press.  What should I watch out for in replacing the

|: hammers and hammer butts?

If you have the two-forked horizontal flange then what you

should watch out for is your sanity! - especially if you are

reboring the butts for new shanks.  I would recommend

fitting one note at a time and regulating as you go along

taking special care with the shimming of the flanges and all

the alignments.  This is not an action for the fainthearted.

        JD

--

** PS.  This formula is derived from the general physical

formula for vibrating strings which states that Frequency =

half the length in cm. multiplied by the square root of the

tension in dynes divided by the mass per cm. length :

                  F=1/(2*L)*SQRT(T/M).

The value of K is as follows for a series of relative

densities of the string considered as a uniform cylinder

containing steel wire, covering wire and AIR.

               RD      K

             ____________

             6.50    21837

             6.60    21506

             6.70    21185

             6.80    20873

             6.90    20571

             7.00    20277

             7.10    19991

             7.20    19714

             7.30    19444

             7.40    19181

             7.50    18925

             7.60    18676

             7.70    18433

             7.80    18197

             7.90    17967

             8.00    17742

             8.10    17523

             8.20    17309

             8.30    17101

             8.40    16897

             8.50    16699

             8.60    16504

             8.70    16315

             8.80    16129

             8.90    15948

             9.00    15771

Delacour Piano Services - 34 Station Road, Parkstone
Poole - Dorset BH14 8UD - England  +44 1202 731031
Bass String Manufacturer - Piano Technician