bass string space problem

TUNERJIM@aol.com TUNERJIM@aol.com
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:53:08 -0400

>From time to time I have plugged the occasional tuning pin hole and have had
consistently good results.  Regarding moving the center of the tuning pin
hole
laterally, I wouldn't worry too much about the glue line.  Here is why:  A
colleague
in the Northern Virginia Chapter of PTG came across an upright with loose
pins
which had been re-pinned with 7-0 pins!  (If you've never seen 7-0 pins, they
look
like little cigars.) Anyway, he pulled the 7-0 pins out, filled the (huge)
holes with
epoxy, then inserted 2-0 pins in the still liquid epoxy.  Once the epoxy
dried the
pins had satisfactory torque which remains to this day.  Talk about your glue
line!

And while on the subject of epoxy and pin blocks . . . It is now my standard
practice
to suspect the existance of cracks in the pin block when two or more adjacent
pins have low torque.  So after pulling the loose pins out (with my vice
grips),
I swab the inside of the tuning p[in hole with a viscous epoxy, then I line
the
hole with veneer (sandpaper works OK), then I reinstall the original pin
which then
usually torques out at 70 or 80 inch pounds.  I reckon the the epoxy has been
forced into the walls of the crack, thereby curing the original cause of the
loose
tuning pin problem.  I also reckon that just installing larger diameter pins
will
cause the crack to widen and thus cause the original problem to reappear.

Jim DeRocher