University Sales - The Next Chapter

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 07:32:51 -0400

If this post made it over the server last week then please disregard.

Everyone,

The subject of "loans" of pianos by manufacturers to universities has been an
ongoing topic of discussion for some time.  While talking with a factory
sales rep  recently I received some further news which I feel should be
passed on to those assisting in the decision making process.

The instruments which manufacturers loan to the institutions must be sold at
the end of the rotation period. (Usually nine months.)  The reason for this
is that the manufacturer is paying the interest no these instruments for this
period of time.  At the end of the period, the instruments must be liquidated
to provide cash flow for the manufacturer and the dealer.  This liquidation
process is carried out by holding a "University Piano Sale."  While this
format has been sucessful for several years, the effectiveness of the drawing
card seems to be diminishing.  The interest of the public in this particular
gimic and their willingness to part with their money has been dropping
dramatically in several major markets (as was reported to me.)  Quite simply,
from a business standpoint, the manufacturers can not afford to continue
providing huge numbers of instruments if they receive no return on their
investment.  I'm sure we can all appreciate this from a cash flow
perspective.

In the mean time, several institutions have been opting for purchase or lease
plans rather than loan programs.  The University of South Carolina, for
example, has just recently purchased close to $1million worth of instruments
after getting out of a loan program.

These were some eye opening pieces of information to me which do not require
a lot of interpretation to see the direction in which things are heading.  I
hope that this info is of use to some of you out there.

Sincerely,

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College