Material Considerations in Musical Strings

DAVander@aol.com DAVander@aol.com
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 01:44:33 -0400

Dear friends,

I saw this posting in the MICAT (Musical Instrument Conservation and
Technology) mailing list archives (March 1995)  and thought I would forward
it to the Pianotech list.

>>Subject: Materials in Musical Instruments
>>
>>The latest issue of _MRS Bulletin_ (a publication of the Materials
>Research Society), March 1995, Volume XX, no.3, is devoted to the subject
>heading noted above.  Most Engineering Libraries will have this journal.
>The list of contents includes:
>>
>>U.J. Hansen: Materials in Musical Instruments: Romance of Art and
>Science
>>
>>C.M. Hutchins: Measurable Characteristics of Violin-Family
>Instruments in Relation to the Sound of a High-Quality Violin
>>
>>N.C. Pickering: Material Considerations in Musical Strings
>>
>>C. Besnainou: From Wood Mechanical Measurements to Composite
>Materials for Musical Instruments: New Technology for Instrument Makers
>>
>>J.A. Decker: Graphite-Epoxy Acoustic Guitar Technology
>>
>>T.D. Rossing, et al: Bass Handbells of Aluminum
>>
>>U.J. Hansen, et al: The Caribbean Steel Pan: Tuning and Mode Studies
>>
>>Would amslist subscribers kindly forward this information to other
>interested lists?  Thanks!
>>
>>-- Vivian (Wanna make music?  Get a lab!)
>>

>>Vivian S. Ramalingam           vivian@me.umn.edu
>>(612) 636 - 1042

Some of the topics in the listed MRS Bulletin don't really apply to our
profession, but the article about Material Considerations in Musical Strings
sounds interesting.  Maybe someone with access to the MRS Bulletin might want
to check this article out.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
davander@aol.com
Joplin, Missouri
Associate Member, Kansas City Chapter PTG