Papp's Mute

John Delacour JD@eremita.demon.co.uk
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 23:46:42 +0000

At 15:10 16.08.95, Barrie Heaton wrote:
|:  Yes the papps mute (or know as papps wedge in England) was made
|: as a tuning aid.  Mr Pap  was a French man who made pianos in
|: France not England.......

Pape (Henri?) was a French maker and Papps was Papps and neither Pape nor a
Frenchman.

Another interesting bit of nomenclature which I was told by Bob Kemble
himself some years ago:  The founder of the firm of Kemble, latterly
Yamaha-Kemble, was a Jewish immigrant from Germany who arrived just after
the first world war.  He had the misfortune to be named Kaiser, not a very
popular handle in England at the time.  Good businessman that he was, he
swiftly changed his name to Kemble.

        JD

Delacour Piano Services - 34 Station Road, Parkstone
Poole - Dorset BH14 8UD - England  +44 1202 731031
Bass String Manufacturer - Piano Technician