Havana piana

Benjamin Treuhaft blt@igc.apc.org
Sun, 06 Aug 1995 21:49:58 -0700

 SEND A PIANA TO HAVANA
     All Cuban children can dance, of course, but a surprising percent
also play classical music (please see my Tuning With the Enemy in
the June PTJ).  The pianos they play on are shiny but unpromising
70's Russian Tchaikas, or else pre-1959 U.S. instruments eaten by
salt air and comegen termites.
     There is a rebuilding facility in Havana but it is hurting for raw
materials.  For reasons understood only in Washington and by
segments of the Cuban exile community in Florida, we still impose a
strict embargo on food, medicine and tubas on Cuba.
     Needed: piano wire, tuning pins (rusty or not), hammer sets of
any quality, tools, books, etc., but above all they need pianos in
rebuildable condition.
     The Museo de la Musica in Havana has requested help in this
regard, so this summer I am collecting parts and pianos from
around the country and hope to have a container-full ready by fall.
Inexpensive uprights and grands needing strings or hammers will be
rebuilt in Havana and distributed to deserving students and
teachers.
     The U.S. Commerce department is currently reviewing my
request for a license to send this musical aid to Cuba (do they worry
that the pianos could be turned against us?) and it is possible that
permission will be given for the project, along with tax-deductible
status for any donations.
     Please let me know if you can help with parts, pianos, or a spot of
cash for shipping.

BENJAMIN TREUHAFT
UNDERWATER PIANO SHOP
2005 Stuart St.