Food and Drinks

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 09:53:14 -0400 (EDT)

When I first came to Oberlin, we had full-time monitors that walked through the
facility checking, among other things, secuirity issues and compliance with our
no food or drink policy in practice rooms. This worked out pretty well until
about five years ago when monitor positions were cut in a poorly conceived
budget crunch. Guess what happened -- enter food and drink to our practice
facility and all the associated ills and spills (even an ant problem for a
while)! Well.....we tried everything. Notes on music desks, notes on walls,
articles in the student paper, pleading with faculty members to set a good
example (guess how successful that was), loss of practice priviledges, etc.,
etc., etc. However, we did find something, eventually, that seems to work.
FINES!! Plain and simple, if ypu are caught in a practice room with food or
drink, it's going to cost you 50 bucks. And to put some clout in the $50.00
fine policy, myself and the assistant dean perform periodic "purges" through
the practice facility, entering rooms to inspect for food and drink. We
announce our purpose to the occupants, fine those that have violated the
policy (the fine is assessed to their term bill), and politely explain to
those innocent the thousands of dollars in damage that  liquid spills can
create in a piano. It only takes about an hour to do and is a very effective
form of preventive maintenance. For those of you that might be turned off to
the "policing" nature of our purges, I was surprised to find how many students
(the innocent ones, of course) were not disturbed at all by our inspection. To
the contrary, many of them commented that they, too, were concerned about the
quality of our instruments and would help via peer pressure to enforce the no
food/drink policy.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory