Food & Pianos

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:32:46 -0600

I can only underscore much of what I have read from the many responses, and
heartily endores the policing, the constant watching over, and the contract
showing responsibility from the students .
        Our program has every practice room keyed and the signout system is
run on computer. The list is easily used to track down SLOBS.  My part is
equally  serious in that I make certain that the student body knows that
the pianos are cleaned and checked over each semester.  I use student help
to do that task.  We do a thorough job of vacuuming, washing, waxing and
touching-up each piano in the practice section.  Each Summer I do the
faculty. It costs a few dollars extra, but the return I feel is worth every
penny.
        We use alot of student help and the peep pressure helps keep the
vandalism to a minimum.  If I've accomplished anything in 20 years it's
keeping the students working on their own pianos.  Every other instrument
does, so why not paino?  We're not perfect, but I think we've won respect
of the students for their pianos.
        Also in each practice room I have a repair sheet hanging on the
doorknob.  If there is a piano problem, a room problems (hot/cold) we know
about it and have it checked out before the next day.  It works.  I call it
"Pianos need Respect" and there are several boxes to check off for help.
If anyone wants a copy I'll put in online later.  This is already too long,
but a worthy subject.

J^2 Keep In Tune !