spills and thrills

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 PSLOFFER@ucs.indiana.edu
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 05:32:51 +0000 (EWT)

Hello Hello

We have around 250 practice rooms and the same problems as the
rest of you with drinks on pianos.  We (Piano Technicians) tried
to have the vending machines removed but that never got anywhere.

We used to kick people out of the rooms and lock the doors but
the Dean did not like that and they later had the locks removed
from all practice rooms anyway.

My attitude is now this.  I have not the time or the energy to
get upset with people who insist on bringing drinks into practice
rooms.  If a student or faculty spills a drink in a piano they
will suffer but I will not.  When I check practice rooms I simply
say that drinks are not allowed in practice rooms and ask
politely if they would be kind enough to take the drink out of
the room. I also say that if they insist on bringing the drink
into the room to at least put it on the floor so it cannot spill
in the piano.  Most of the time people will do as I ask.  If they
refuse I ask again.  If they still refuse I leave.  If that
person ever has a problem with the piano in there practice room I
don't fix it.  I don't go out of my way to help them with their
recital either.

One solution we have tried with good success involves the new
pianos we have.  We had 15 practice rooms fitted with locks and
the new pianos were put in those rooms.  Doctoral piano and
graduate piano majors have first chance to get a key to those
rooms.  Before they got a key they were interviewed and given a
speech about how they would loose their key and have to practice
on the regular junk if they broke any rules in the agreement.
They also must pay for any damage to pianos; either themselves if
they are responsible or they all pay a portion of the damage if
no one confesses.

I am including the agreement below that they signed.  It is also
getting reviewed and will be changed for next semester.  I will
post the new one then.  We inspect these rooms two or three times
a day. So far we have had no problem with damage (knock on wood)
and very few violation and no one has had there key taken away.

                         PRACTICE PIANO AGREEMENT

Name_______________Student ID# __________Phone__________________
Address ______________________Assigned Rm/Key Number____________
City ____________________State__________Zip Code________________

RULES:
        1.     The rooms will be checked daily.  Rule
               violations will be noted on this contract.
        2.     No Food, No Drinks, NO SMOKING.  Two
               violations and you loose your key.
        3.     No loaning key to a friend.  One violation
               and you loose your key.
        4.     SHARED RESPONSIBILITY: If a piano is
               damaged, the person responsible must pay.
               BUT, if it can not be determined who actually
               did it, then all who have keys to the room
               will share the repair costs. The room will be
               unavailable for practice until the matter
               is settled. Those responsible will be check
               listed.

           Possible repair expenses are based on real costs.

           Coke or coffee spill in piano action       $ 2000.00
           Cigarette burn on keys or finish           $  500.00
           Finish scratch or chipping                 $  500.00

        5.     Report damage immediately to IU Piano Shop

I have read this agreement and agree to all terms specified here.

Hope all of you have a nice turkey day.

Phil Sloffer at IU Bloomington Indiana