Guidelines, praise from administrators

Thomas McNeil MCNEIL%FREDONIA.BITNET@yvax.byu.edu
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 4:01 pm EDT (20:01:32 UT)

Colleagues -

Ron Torrella writes that he would like to see written documentation as to
the acceptance of the Guidelines by institutional administrators.  I believe
I have a few such documents in my files and will be glad to send copies to
RT - if I can find them.  When I was chairing the committee before, I received
quite a few phone calls (maybe one a week during the first six months after
publication, then one a month for some time after that) from administrators,
most of whom were effusively grateful for the guidance provided by the
document.  It never occurred to me that I should seek written support from
these busy executives; and I don't think I'd do so now, out of respect for
their busy schedules.  I don't blame RT for his cynicism, particularly if he
has had some negative experience with his administrators.  If he has had such
negative experience stemming from his introducing the Guidelines to his
administrators, I hope he will share that with us on the net, or with me
privately.  We are genuinely interested in getting any bugs out of the
document - although, again, admittedly, we will probably not completely satisfy
everyone.

I will be leaving on a three-week vacation, beginning this Friday, July 22.
I may or may not be able to maintain e-mail contact during that time. So,
don't despair if I'm long in replying to correspondence before mid-August.
(Where I'll be in northernmost New Hampshire, telephone communications
are pretty funky, with odd radio links, etc.  But I plan to bring my
notebook computer along, and perhaps I'll be able to make it work for e-mail.)

  For busy people, there is no such thing as a convenient time for a
  vacation.  That being so, take a vacation exactly when you want to;
  and let the chips fall where they will, since chips are going to
  fall in any case.                     - Wm. F. Buckley, Sr.

 Thomas McNeil                                  (716) 673-3247  voice
 SUNY Fredonia School of Music                  (716) 673-3397  FAX
 Fredonia, NY  14063

 E-mail:  McNeil@Fredonia.Bitnet   or   McNeil@A12T.cc.Fredonia.edu