[CAUT] [pianotech] Shank glue

erwinspiano erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue May 8 12:31:19 MDT 2012

After using the TB 50 for bridges and sound board panel glue up...I,m sold. I find the 50 to be way less thermo plastic than the assembly 65. I glued up to panels one with each glue.The 65 set up way faster than even Bolduc pva. When it dried I belt sanded of the residue and it gums up &gets a bit sticky. The 50 gives more work time especially on getting plank alignment and the stuff dries hard as hide glue and sands of lickety split.
Learning curve still in process
Dale

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:On 5/8/2012 11:32 AM, McCoy, Alan wrote:
> Thanks Dale. I may give them both a shot to see what they are like.

Alan,
If you're talking about WN&G shanks, I wouldn't. They went to the CA
because of something I talked to Bruce about when the carbon fiber
shanks first appeared. CF doesn't change dimension with humidity
changes, wood moldings do. So the odds of putting the two together with
a woodworking glue and getting them to stay there through a few years of
the humidity swings a lot of us experience through the year isn't a good
bet. The glue doesn't bond to the CF, and you only get the mechanical
"tooth" holding it there if you rough it up adequately. Apparently,
enough hammers fell off after installation that they went to the CA.

Incidentally, Assembly 65 is RF response quick cure (or heat by other
means) too.

I've been using some of Dale's Titebond 50, and like it for some things.
It seems to require somewhat less clamp time before you can get on with
cutting and shaping a rough glue-up than does Titebond original. That's
good for the pathologically impatient, like me, but it's much harder to
control under the clamps. The TB 50 tends to squirm and skate much worse
than the TB original, so it requires more attention and constraint. I
haven't used it for lamination of curved stuff yet, so I don't know
exactly what to expect there as far as safe cycle time.

Both dry harder than TB original, with the Assy 65 herder than TB 50.
Both look like first rate glues, depending on your use, needs, and habits.

Ron N