[CAUT] Bösendorfer question

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 29 14:31:32 MDT 2011

Hi Alan,
             I thought those pins were 0.135"? again I am going from my
faded memory, in which case use 0.137 cauls.  Use hide hot glue, don't push
the caul all the way in and use a razor blade to trim flush with the top of
the button.  Once trimmed push the caul down the extra 2 or 3 mm.
You are correct about the glue and leather, very little wicking.
When I have used the tan side to the pin, I've found it prone to squeaks.

The leather last at least 5 times longer.  I still bush the front rail with
cloth, it is quieter.  Because there is less key roll with leather BR
bushings the FR seems to also last longer.

We have converted most of our instruments to leather and are very pleased
with the results. Level and dip appears more stable. We have not had to re
bush any of the leather converts, and a number of these pianos were done 5
years ago.

Expect a spirited discussion on tan in and tan out. The above is just my
experience. Probably there is no right answer. I use a small artist brush
to coat the nap in Teflon powder. It seems to stay put long enough for the
nap to lay down.

The leather/maple button seems to be more stable with humidity swings.

Regards Roger