[CAUT] Bösendorfer question

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 13:59:22 MDT 2011

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the input on key bushing with leather.  Nap towards the pin, eh?  Not what I would have guessed (but I have zero experience bushing keys with leather at the moment, so what do I know?).  Do you use hot animal hide glue?  Any special considerations (vs. bushing w/ cloth)?

If mymemory serves me correctly I use 1.1mm.
... which would be about .043".  I suppose the appropriate thickness of leather depends, as with cloth, on the difference between the size of the mortise and the size of the key pins (less whatever needs to be figured in for the glue line--and I imagine that leather will be less absorbent of glue than cloth, particularly if the glue is applied to the tanned side of the leather).

Have you found leather to last substantially longer than cloth?  And as it starts to wear, is there a way to resuscitate it (like there is with cloth)?

Many thanks,

Alan Eder