[CAUT] Congratulations to Don Mannino

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:36:38 MDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> In my limited experience, Japanese and German-trained techs are
> often technically virtuosic, but maybe not quite so good at thinking
> outside the box in order to solve problems of unfamiliar, run-down
> pianos, of which US techs see lots. Like car mechanics who
> specialize in one make or even one model, they can sometimes be
> flummoxed by anomalies they rarely encounter, especially in second-
> rate instruments. Still, their rigorous schooling has much to
> recommend it, if only more Americans could afford it and had the
> patience and mind-set it requires. However, American techs, at least
> as represented in this cohort, seem more willing to share knowledge
> and tips, and this collegiality goes a long way toward keeping
> standards high.
> Laurence

I agree essentially with these sentiments, but there are some other
aspects to the question. It is probably accurate to saythat, for
example, the average Japanese-trained tech is more focused on standard
measurements, and is perhaps lost without them, while the American is
more likely to have a pragmatic approach of figuring out measurements
to make it work. But the flip side of this is that the American tends
to be sloppier, the attitude of "making it work" tends to lead to
loose standards.
	Similarly, Americans are rightly praised for inventiveness, open-
mindedness, and willingness to share knowledge. But sometimes that
inventiveness tends to lead to a culture of reaching for the latest
fad in place of the intricate number of basic steps that make up a
good result. So we run after the latest magic hammer, tap bridge pins,
obsess about over or under centering, try the latest voicing voodoo,
etc. etc. thinking that the latest fix will solve all our problems,
placed on top of our work that is adequate to "make it work" but not
really refined. And the results are predictably uneven.
	One of the great blessings of the national conventions is the
opportunity to be exposed to fine pianos prepped meticulously. Over
the past ten or so years I have been attending regularly, I have been
struck more and more by the attention to detail as the defining factor
in why I particularly like certain piano makes consistently -
generally the German makes and the Shigeru Kawai. And the skill to
make pianos this refined is lacking in the US. For good reason: most
of us (maybe not on this list) are home service techs, and we have
very little opportunity to practice the craft at a high level. We
cauts are very lucky in that regard, in that at least most of us have
that opportunity.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain