[CAUT] Congratulations to Don Mannino

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Mon Mar 29 15:36:50 MDT 2010

In my limited experience, Japanese and German-trained techs are often technically virtuosic, but maybe not quite so good at thinking outside the box in order to solve problems of unfamiliar, run-down pianos, of which US techs see lots. Like car mechanics who specialize in one make or even one model, they can sometimes be flummoxed by anomalies they rarely encounter, especially in second-rate instruments. Still, their rigorous schooling has much to recommend it, if only more Americans could afford it and had the patience and mind-set it requires. However, American techs, at least as represented in this cohort, seem more willing to share knowledge and tips, and this collegiality goes a long way toward keeping standards high.
Laurence