[CAUT] Congratulations to Don Mannino

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Tue Mar 30 21:03:53 MDT 2010

Well, I don't think Americans lack skill, but it's directed differently. As a maybe indefensible generalization, I'd say that free-wheeling American techs, particularly many who aren't RPTs, are more prone to tinker with things than to follow rules, and tend to learn by trial and error rather than from strict apprenticeship. Unfortunately trials and errors occur here too often on pianos that weren't great to begin with, which begs questions of how quality is controlled and what management's role is in enforcing it in the factory--but that's another issue. If piano standards here today are lax, it's because our middle-class market doesn't demand excellence anymore, if it ever did. Democracy is a messy system. Still, our best work is as fine as anyone else's. And quality control isn't just an American problem, as Toyota has shown us.
Laurence