[CAUT] The fundamental - Where is it?

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Mar 26 13:46:03 MDT 2010

 Don asks:

 One of the techs had an old Sohmer concert grand in the shop. without strings and plate installed he pounded the soundboard. The frequency produced was about F1, approximately 43.5 hz. His contention is that the belly system cannot produce any frequency below that. True?

       I don't follow the logic of that.  If valid, I suppose we would also have to say that it couldn't (re) produce any frequency above that, either..  What was heard when pounded was the resonant period of the structure.  I don't think that indicates at what speed that same piece of wood can vibrate,  just which is most efficiently.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT