[CAUT] Early 19th c. instrument mp3

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Fri Mar 5 07:05:05 MST 2010

1. 18th- and early 19th-century wood-framed pianos and reproductions
naturally don't stand in tune so well as modern pianos because wood cases
flex, among other reasons, but they're not primitive except in the sense of
being early. Even Cristofori's designs are highly evolved and perfectly
suited to the music his pianos were intended to play. Same for Mozart's
Stein and Walter and Beethoven's Graf, etc. These are very sophisticated
instruments, but of course there were also inferior makers then as there are
now. But you're right, replicas tend to be more reliable than antiques and
often give a more accurate impression of how old pianos sounded when they
were new.

2. While humidity and temperature changes might quickly affect a wood-framed
piano, it's also possible that what sounds out of tune to you might be a
historical tuning, not equal temperament. Listen to Malcolm Bilson's studio
recordings, for instance; his pianos are dead in tune, but if you're not
used to their timbres they could sound odd.

Laurence