[CAUT] Early 19th c. instrument mp3

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 5 12:13:46 MST 2010

Greg Graham wrote:

> Seems like every "historic" instrument I've ever heard needs a good tuning, even after it has had one.

I'm not so sure it's the tuning. For me, it's the tonal
envelope, although the recorded pianos sounded to me to be
tuned at different pitches. The old instruments were a much
lower tensioned scale, on a much less rigid framework. They
present a sort of "bwoink" impression to me. Lots of attack
distortion, short attack, and short sustain. The envelope
never settles into anything stable enough, long enough, to
register as a specific pitch. Like steel drum tones, only not
as painful.
Ron N