[CAUT] Warning to you hosting the Van Cliburn gold medalist

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 3 09:24:21 MST 2010

Richard,

I haven't done this during intermission, but I have done it just before the concert when the artist said he would have prefered the piano a little bit brighter, and I knew a pass with a warm hammer would make a difference. This slight change did nothing to harm the hammers.

The artist spoke well of me to the department head, who was a former student. The department head has since sent me $20K in action work referrals, and the school continues to hire me for their recital pianos as they are laying off other people.

My reputation and business (since I am self-employed) depend on the good will of people who play the pianos I prepare. I enjoy solving piano problems. That is my profession.

People who can play difficult music in front of audiences have skills I cannot approach or comprehend. They are the ones who create the demand for my work, and as long as they don't ask me to harm the piano, I will do the best to deliver what they ask.

There was a time when I felt differently. I learned fast enough to save my job and career. I am comfortable with my attitude. Each of us must find the approach to our work that makes us happy.

Kissen is another performer who has a reputation of practicing to the last minute. Has anyone been able to correct him? Perhaps part of this story is a warning to to do the best we can to keep performance pianos in tolerable condition at all times. I would prefer trying to change the situation over trying to correct the attitude of the artist.

Best regards,
Ed