[CAUT] Warning to you hosting the Van Cliburn gold medalist

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Wed Mar 3 08:30:13 MST 2010

I strenuously object to this.  It's pandering to pianists who should
know better.  If the piano is well prepped and well maintained, there
may be a few minor voicing adjustments the day of the concert, but
nothing like trying to brighten everything up at intermission. That's
ludicrous. A visiting artist may have his own overall voicing
preferences, but in a university situation, it's the local pianists
that set the rules.  A well prepped piano will always fall within a
range of concert acceptability, depending on the DNA of the piano.
Most visiting artists understand that and adapt.  It's part of being
a concert professional who doesn't transport her own piano.  We need
to stand up for our profession.

Or maybe I misunderstood your remark, Ed.  I should be laughing and
shaking my head, right?

Richard West