[CAUT] Hammers

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 21:22:32 MDT 2010

I have no experience voicing with Del's boards, but I do have experience voicing with Ron Nossaman's boards.

I have experience voicing with various hammers, including Yamaha, Abel, Renner, Steinway, Ronsen Bacon, Ronsen Wurzen...

Yamaha, Abel and Renner are clearly the type of hammer that simply needs to be needled down.

However, my experience is that NY Steinway and all Ronsen hammers, being American hammers, may need initial lacquer to one extent or another. I understand my experience may be at odds with the experience of others (perhaps including Ron N), but I have failed to get a good sound from Bacons or Wurzens without lacquer. I have tried.

I think you are in an excellent position to try some lacquer in the Bacons since you are already considering removing them; if the results are no good, you can move on to the Naturals or Wurzens. (Although, as I say, the Wurzens I have known needed lacquer, so perhaps Naturals would be the better choice.)

As for technique, if you are familiar with Chris Robinson's practice of lacquering only one side of the crown at a time, so much the better. I would keep my lacquer dilute, and start by putting a layer of lacquer only on the speaking length (distal) side of the crown, leaving the front duplex side free of lacquer. No soaking the entire hammer.

Try it. If it's awful, then say so, here.

But perhaps, if the lacquer is dilute enough, you can get the heft you want out of these hammers after all, and still be able to remove any lacquer sound by shallow needling on the top of the crown.

All the best,

Kent Swafford