[CAUT] Hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 08:05:48 MDT 2010

My experience with these style boards is that the "boom" in the midrange is
controlled by the installation of a full cut-off bar shortening the longest
ribs which cross right under the middle of the long bridge.  This creates a
much more controlled and clear tone through that section that is not prone
to a boom, or some would say a distortion, especially at very high levels of
playing.  While a heavier hammer might give a bit more heft to the sound at
attack, the design of these boards may inhibit your ability to get what you
are looking for.  The trade off is a much more balanced attack through the
entire scale.  I think this effect is to be found on the pianos that employ
full bass cut off bars and is not necessarily the result of the RC&S design
as such except that the stiffness of the board through the scale is more
calculated being based on beam deflection formulas rather than the lesser
predictable compression crowning method.  A Boesendorfer, for example, which
also employs a full bass cutoff bar also has as more controlled attack
through that section.  Of course, there are other differences there as well.

I have not had negative results using lacquer on Bacon hammers on these
boards although I think it's important to use fairly weak solutions.  With a
high solids nitrocellulose lacquer (MacLac) that I am using I'm putting 10 -
15 grams (usually 10 for the tenor and bass and up to 15 for the capo
section) of lacquer into a 4 oz hypo oiler topped off with pure acetone, a
relationship of approximately 1:10 for the weaker end and 1:7 for the
stronger end (4 oz = 112 grams).  I don't go much stronger than that and
that will impact the tonal attack on these boards without creating anything
ugly.  On very light assemblies I have found that the unlacquered Bacon
hammer is enough but this assembly, I would guess, is a bit heavier given
the model pianos.  My applications are from both sides of the crown and
allowing to wick underneath the crown over the top of the molding (important
in my view).  Any zinginess that forms with this level solution for the most
part disappears with the first impact of the hammer on the string or some
very light needling.  It still leaves plenty of resilience in the hammers.
On this board I would probably start with one application of 1:10 solution
through the set to keep things in balance and see what happens.  Remember
that the lacquer really needs a week or two (or longer) to fully harden
though you'll get about 80% of the effect within a day or so.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com