[CAUT] Hammers

McCoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Mon Jun 28 12:27:38 MDT 2010

Thanks for all the responses to this question. I have talked with Del about it so he's aware of what I'm trying to achieve. His suggestions were Ronsen Wurzen or Abel Naturals. These Bacons do have a some lacquer in the top octave but that's it. I have added lead to the hammers to get to a #9 (top med) SW. I have been very hesitant to add lacquer to the hammers because when I first put the board in I had the old action still intact so I knew from listening to these older hammers with the new board that lacquer is not what the board needs. But I do think more heft might help. I will try the clip trick on the shanks to give it a test. The boom issue is really most noticeable in the mid-range. The bass, though different than a stock bass in that it doesn't have the growly edge, is good. Octaves 6 and 7 are well within the normal range of expectations.

Part of the issue is the perception of the pianists, who have the worst seat in the house, especially for this piano. I've listened to just a couple two-piano concerts with these two D's (one is an older stock D that keeps on kicking). Invariably the pianist at this rebuilt D feels like they have to pound it to be heard, because THEY can't hear their own piano. But we out in the hall are saying, WHOA NELLY, what're you trying to do, blast us through the wall? The piano does project, only the feedback the pianist receives is atypical from what they are accustomed to hearing. Therefore, it is difficult to get anyone to play the damn thing.

Along this line I have noticed that the key compliance in the bass is more noticeable after the new board was installed. The keys are the same, but the perception of tone output per unit of input energy is different. I'll be addressing that issue too.

I have gone back and forth hundreds of times between our two D's trying to figure out how to articulate what I am hearing. I like both of them, but truth be told, I would like more "boom" in the mid-range. I'm not quite sure how to describe what I mean by that, but it is apparent immediately, at any dynamic level. If you listen to a stock 7 foot piano (assuming well voiced) in the mid-range (F2-F5) at mp to mf and then listen to a stock 9-foot at the same dynamic levels, that's the kind of difference. The 9-footer has more "presence." What I don't know also is just how that is achieved when designing a belly.

I don't have any objection to the stock sound one can often get out of a S&S D. The reason I went with a RC&S board is that it makes more sense mechanically (to me) to rely on designed-in rib support for the board, rather than rely on ambient RH for crown. The question remains for me though is whether the kind of tone I like is possible with a board that is RC&S. Of course that is not the only change that was made to the belly. There is the longer bass cut-off. What if the board were made the same but with the original cut-off? What would it sound like? Same question with the treble fish, and the string scale alterations. Too many questions, too little time.

Thanks again.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University