[CAUT] steinway agraffs

Alan Crane alan.crane at wichita.edu
Thu Jun 17 16:07:27 MDT 2010

On Thursday 17 June 2010 12:57:16 Carl Root wrote:
> Grind a "V" into the tip of a screwdriver so it looks like a fishtail.  You
> now have two points ...

Carl's "fishtail" pointed screwdriver is a good thing to try first.
Its cheap to make and often works (except when it doesn't), and it won't get in the way of
any subsequent attempts with other methods.

When you make the "fishtail", make one point slightly shorter than the other.  Broken agraffes
rarely present a flat surface to work with and the offset of the points will bite into the
uneven brass surface more easily and evenly if you pay attention to how you position the
tool.

If you have to resort to the easy-out (screw extractor), be gentle and cautious when driving
it into your drilled pilot hole.  Aggressive driving force can 'spread' the soft brass of
the agraffe stud and pack it more tightly into the threaded sides of the hole.

After you've gotten the thing out by whatever method(s), "chase" the threaded hole in the
plate with the proper size tap to clean out corrosion, dirt, etc. and prepare the threads
for the new agraffe.
If the hole is drilled clear through the plate, its most likely not threaded clear though.
After you've chased the threads, go ahead and (carefully) cut (tap) the threads all the way
out the bottom of the hole.  It doesn't take long to do and may just increase the number of
options open to the next person who has to remove a broken stud from that particular hole.

I'm no expert, these are just things that have worked well for me (including the left-hand
twist drill for the pilot hole).  Most of the above, I heard in classes by Isaac Sadigurski.
You might check out his Joural articles on the subject.

--
Regards,

Alan B. Crane, RPT
School of Music