[CAUT] steinway agraffs

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Thu Jun 17 11:46:41 MDT 2010

This should go fairly well James. Hardware stores sell extractors that
are like a 3 or 4 sided awl. You drill a hole in the center of the
broken agraffe, drive the pointed extractor in, then fit a small wrench
(or whatever the extractor requires)  on it and carefully rotate the
agraffe out. First sand the broken agraffe flat (brass clogs files)
enough to drill, and use a punch to locate the hole precisely in center.

BTW, make sure you have the right replacement agraffe. Steinway has two
thread/shank sizes, even so, not all supply house agraffes will end up
with the strings at the original height.

Also, consider re-using the string, especially if it's a wound-string.
It takes a bit of work to elongate a coil and thread it back through an
agraffe hole, but in the right circumstance is worth doing.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS I've been fortunate to hire a number of amazing assistants over the
years... all of them smarter than me, or what why bother? About five
years ago J----y R. tells me he's tried to remove 6 agraffes in a row,
and they're all very tight, and he's scared he's going to break one. "Oh
$%^!... one just broke!"

So, I calmly inspect the situation, place the tool and ratchet handle on
the next candidate, and start applying pressure. Sure enough, it feels
very strange, it doesn't want to budge, and if anything is moving at
all, it sure as heck isn't the...  "Oh $%^!"

I'm not sure who discovered first that the ratchet was set for
tightening, not loosening, but it was likely J, because I only hire
assistants who are smarter than me... or why bother?  ;>)