[CAUT] Press vs Stab voicing (was Re: The Importance of "Subject:")

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Sat Jun 12 16:04:46 MDT 2010

Ron,

Yes. (below) Maybe some cross sections of fibers after pushing and stabbing,
and is the tip really flatter and rougher than we think when compared to the fibers?

Vince and I were in a voicing class and the instructor was adamant about pushing, not
stabbing, "so that the fibers had time to get out of the way." Vince started chuckling
under his breath. When we were outside I quizzed him about it and he waved his hands and shouted "OH NO!
NEEDLES! EVERYBODY RUN!!!" Maybe this is one reason I'm not as serious about this talk.
(No offense intended to anyone)

Jim

Hey, it would be way cool if they could show us something
interesting, even if it just generates more questions. How
they gonna get pictures inside the hammer with the surrounding
felt intact?

A couple of shots of needle tips, next to felt fibers for
scale, for sure. After that - ????
Ron N