[CAUT] Press vs Stab voicing (was Re: The Importance of "Subject:")

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jun 12 17:41:20 MDT 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> I called a scientist here at BYU and asked what it would take to
> have some electron microscope pictures taken (we have 3) and he's
> looking into it. Not that anything is "definitive", even when
> clearly shown in a picture, but it might be fun to see. All this
> talk is speculative. I think it's more like a Mack truck running
> into a pile of jump ropes; some will be torn, some cut, some pushed
> aside, but who knows??? If I get access to the electron micro guys
> I'll like some idieas. And it loooks good that they will help. (They
> owe me...)

For comparison of stab vs press, three hammers of the same make, one
pristine, one stabbed, one pressed. Upper shoulder is probably best to
focus on. A good number of needle insertions, maybe 40 or more on a
shoulder. It would probably be hard to find just the right spot and
get a good angle for photography, but anything would be great to see.
It would be nice to see a needle in the felt, or just touching it,
both to see the surface of the needle and comparative sizes.
	As long as you are asking, one thing I would love to see is the
effect of lacquer on hammers. I'd like to see pristine hammer, hammer
with one soaking, hammer with two soakings (fairly high solid
content). I'd like to see what actually happens when it dries: does it
coat the fibers? Does it fill in gaps? Tie adjacent fibers together?
	And it would be very interesting to see various makes of hammers side
by side. And the results of hammer filing: surface after 100 paper,
220 paper, 400, 1000. Results of steaming. I could easily go on and
on, but I'll stop.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu